Are you a traveling enthusiast? Well, if yes then I have some good news for you. Now you can travel to any destination of your choosing with a passport. What is a passport? The Oxford dictionary defines a passport as an official document usually used for international journeys, which proves the identity and nationality of the person using it.
The Kenyan passport is issued to Kenyan citizens in accordance to the 2010 constitution and as provided for the in the Kenya citizens and immigration act of 2011 and other provisions are issued by the department of immigration.
Thanks to technology which have change most things and made life more easier. Now, you can get your passport by visiting and registering on the E-Citizen website. After registering go to Immigration services and then click on the passport application form and select mode of payment for the passport fees.
Requirement for first-time Kenyan passport applicants
According the directorate of immigration services on their website , they have given the following requirements for the first-time applicants:
- A dully filled application form 19 and two payment invoices.
- Original birth certificate and copy for Kenyan citizens by birth.
- Certificate of registration for citizens by registration.
- Original applicant’s national ID.
- Copy of recommender’s national ID.
- Duly filled consent form for minors.
- Copies of parents’ national IDs or death certificate where applicable.
- Original and copies of parents’ birth certificates.
- Any other additional documents as may be required.
- Payment of the prescribe fee.
How much fees will I be charge to get a passport
The fees to be charged will depend on the type , which according to the immigration department is as follows:
- 34 pages ordinary “A” series will cost you a fee of Ksh4550.
- 50 pages ordinary “B” series will cost you a fee of Ksh6050
- 66 pages ordinary “C” series will cost you a fee of Ksh7550.
- East African passport will cost a fee of only Ksh990
For replacing a mutilated passport will cost you Ksh10050 and for a lost one it will cost you 12050.
How long will it take to process the passport
On the completion of application and it has been submitted to an immigration officer, it should take at least 3 weeks to get your passport. Sometimes, however it may take long than expected if more information is required or if the application is not complete or has been filled incorrectly. A Kenyan passport is valid for 10 years while the East African passport is valid for up-to 6months due to Covid-19.