Ewaso Ngiro leather and tannery factory built by the national government is now ready for commissioning. The factory was built through the Ewaso Ngiro South Development Authority (ENSDA) and pocesses a capacity to process 800,000 square feet of leather per year, making it the biggest leather factory in the country.
The ENSDA managing director(md) Ngala Oloitiptip told the Rift Valley Regional Commissioner, Maalim Mohamed that the Kenya Meat Commission(KMC) is one of their biggest supplier of hides to the factory. The MD also added that the factory was 89% complete and the remaining 11% was the value addition part.
Speaking to the RC, Oloitiptip said, “ We buy a kilogramme of hide at Ksh45 from the local farmers but a Ksh 28 from the Kenya Meat Commission , because they give us the ides in bulk. Currently we are only buying the cow skins.” He also said that intially the factory was making losses because they were unable to access the required raw materials, however after KMC started supplying the hides, the factory is now ables to maximize its production.
The MD also said that , the local farmers in the region who are mostly pastoralist have largely benefited from the factory, because they don’t have to throw away the skins, rather sell them to the factory and earn income. “In case the livestock dies or seasons of prolonged dry spell, the farmers will not incur total loss because they can slaughter animals and sell the skin.”, said the MD.
The construction of the factory began in the year 2018 and currently has employed 90 people directly and many others indirectly. “We aim to supply boots to security personnel instead of importing the shoes from other countries. We produce all type of leather that can be used to make many other things such as handbags,belts, furniture and clothes”, added MD Oloitiptip.
According to the Regional Commissioner the project will be able to create more job opportunities for the young generation directly and indirectly hence create wealth for the local communities.